Below are service provider updates for the community in response to COVID-19. To update or add to the information here, please send your updates to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additionally, this is a constantly evolving situation so many providers are updating information on their websites and on social media.
- Caritas hours of operation for food will be Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Any homeless walk-ups will receive a pre-bagged allotment from a table outside.
- Caritas staff will expedite the client data collection process in order to facilitate provision of food services in a more timely manner. Only a minimum of documentation will be required for clients to receive food orders.
- Families may receive food assistance once a month with the exception of the homeless population who may be served once a week (such individuals cannot store food and have limited access to cooking facilities).
- Caritas says because the food distribution is outdoors, it may be suspended during periods of rain.
- Individuals are encouraged to call Caritas at 254-753-4593 before coming if the weather conditions appear to make food distribution questionable.
- Food recipients must line up their vehicles along the Mary Street side of the Caritas building (watch for cones that will outline the path to be followed). Those wanting to go through the drive-through should approach Caritas using Mary Ave. between S. 16th and S. 15th Streets.
- Recipients must remain in their vehicles at all times unless otherwise directed. Caritas staff, using social distancing methods, will come to each vehicle, will register the occupants to receive food and will then place food items in the trunk of a car or bed of a truck. Food will not be placed in the cab of the vehicle. Recipients must empty their trunks and/or truck beds prior to coming to Caritas. Those who have not emptied them will be asked to exit the line and return at a later time when the trunk/bed has been cleared.
- Individuals who are homeless or who have no vehicle will be served by Caritas staff who are stationed adjacent to the drive through area.
- Departments closed include the Bellmead Thrift Store, Voucher Store, and Volunteers
- Departments with limited services:
- Case Management – Phone Conferencing Only
- SNAP/Federal Benefits – Phone Conferencing Only
- For more information on Caritas of Waco or how you can support its community efforts, please visit www.caritas-waco.org or call 254-753-4593.
The Cove is taking the following measures in response to COVID-19 for the week of 3/30-4/3/20:
- The Cove Nurture Center is closed until further notice, but The Cove staff is working remotely to meet student needs.
- Cove case managers and staff have made contact with every student for whom we have contact information. All Cove Scholars we reached are sheltered. Many have expressed the need for basic care support: hygiene products, food, and resources for schoolwork. The Cove is providing information and referrals to community resources to meet these needs.
- This week, Cove case managers are assessing students’ access to WiFi, computers, and resources for schoolwork.
- Cove team members and volunteers are dropping off basic resources like food and hygiene items to students on Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays using no contact Cove Care visits.
- Cove team members are working closely with WISD staff to ensure students access the food and academic resources available to them.
- Cove team members will work closely with community partners to coordinate our community’s responses to youth and families experiencing homelessness and needing support during this time.
Our team will be in consistent communication with you as the situation changes. Updates will be posted via our website and social media (@thecovewaco). While our office may be closed, our staff is working diligently to provide vital resources and support to Cove Scholars during this difficult time.
- Facilities still open for people to access email and to work on anything job search or education related.
- We have laptops spread throughout our classrooms and training rooms for optimal distancing, we also have limited to computer lab to no more than 8 users.
- We are also sanitizing after each one-on-one appointment or participant computer usage.
- Open to the public to assist or allow anyone into our facility or to use our restroom.
- Portable hand washing station is located outside of the Hanger.
- Moving to begin serving outside as of 3/23.
Heart of Texas Region MHMR & PATH
- Heart of Texas Region MHMR is suspending open access to services at the Clifton Street Clinic for the foreseeable future. MHMR adult mental health screenings at Clifton Street Clinic will be conducting screenings with clients by appointment only. To make an appointment with the Admissions Unit please call the main number at 254-752-3451.
- The PATH Team has suspended outreach and will be providing case management services. To reach PATH, call 254-297-7734.
McLennan County Hunger Coalition –
Please visit the Hunger Coalition website for a McLennan County Food Resource List at http://www.mclennanhunger.org/updated-mclennan-county-food-resource-list-now-available/.
- My Brother’s Keeper Shelter is open 24/7.
- Go to http://missionwaco.org/mission-waco/ to get up to date updates
- World Cup Café: officially will close 3/17. We will hopefully have the food truck up and running at Urban REAP for pickup sometime soon.
- Urban REAP: officially will close to the public 3/17. Composting still available.
- Clothesline: officially will close to the public 3/17. Vouchers for homeless still available as needed. Donations still available for drop-off.
- Jubilee Food Market: new hours of operation 9-6 (Sunday stays the same: 11-6)
- Manna House: no new participants as of 3/17.
- Children/Youth Programs: after-school program suspended; no King’s Clubs; no street-camps; no more community classes (Mo’s); no Jubilee Theatre rehearsals or programs (including Little Mermaid)
- Style Show May 7th canceled
- Race ONE canceled
- My Brother’s Keeper: normal hours of operation – will continue with COVID-19 screenings for all individuals.
- Poverty Simulation: all canceled through April
- Meyer Center
- Free Health Clinic: normal operation Tuesdays and Thursdays with added screenings
- Legal Clinic: suspended
- No services offered to non-homeless individuals like ID’s/birth certificates
The Salvation Army
- Only services being provided at this time will be their food pantry, community kitchen, and shelter
- Pantry will operate on M-W from 8:30am-12pm
- Community Kitchen hours will remain the same. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be served in a “to go” style meal.
- Residents that are staying in the shelter will be allowed to stay in the shelter during the day with a monitor being present.
- As openings in the shelter present themselves, we will take on new residents.
- People not staying in the shelter will still be allowed to shower during the evening time designated for visitor showers.
- For the time being, will NOT be providing clothing vouchers (store is closed), rental assistance, or making utility payments.
VA Medical Center
- All VA programs are restricting community visits.
- The VA is still seeing patients, but is recommending Veterans call providers before coming as a walk-in.
- Homeless Outreach staff are still working on the VA Medical Center campus and are available by phone at 254-297-5222.
- Updates can be found at https://www.wacoisd.org/covid19.
- Waco ISD is in need of volunteers who can take food, supplies, and school work to students who cannot get to meal sites or their campuses to pick up learning packets.
- Breakfast: 8 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Monday – Friday, until further notice
- Lunch: 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Monday – Friday, until further notice
- Bledsoe Miller Community Center 300 N. Martin Luther King Blvd, Waco, TX 76704
- Calvary Baptist Church 1001 N. 18th A Street, Waco, TX 76707
- Doris Miller Family YMCA 1020 Elm Street, 900-I, Waco, TX 76704
- Estella Maxey Place 1809 J.J. Flewellen, Waco, TX 76704
- Highland Baptist Church 3014 Maple Avenue, Waco, TX 76707
- Kate Ross Housing Authority 937 South 11th Street, Waco, TX 76706
- Meadowbrook Baptist Church 1207 N. Old Robinson Road, Waco, TX 76706
- Lake Shore Baptist Church 5801 Bishop Drive, Waco, TX 76710
- Park Lake Drive Baptist Church 3701 N. 27th Street, Waco, TX 76708
- South Terrace Community Center 2615 S. 12th Street, Waco, TX 76706
- St. Louis Catholic Church 2001 N. 25th Street, Waco, TX 76708
- Waco Family YMCA 6800 Harvey Drive, Waco, TX 76710